Hello! I’m Catriona, editor of Muddy Norfolk. But you can call me Cate.
I thought I’d be a London girl forever, meandering through publishing, film and PR. Weird how often these jobs seemed to involve making cocktails, which somehow resulted in a baby. Turned out she was rather lovely so we had a few more (babies, cocktails…whatever), outgrew our Walthamstow flat and zoomed up the M11 to raise 4 ‘free range kids’. This is a phrase used by rural families to make sitting around drinking while the children light fires sound intentional.
So…why did I fall in love with Norfolk? Well, let me be lyrical for a sec, because Norfolk does that to you. It’s a wild, strange, insanely beautiful place with flying skies, luminous salt marshes and fields of lavender. Honestly, this landscape casts a lifelong spell. It’s also the sunniest county in the UK, parasols at the ready! Norfolk’s intensely proud but kind of cool and understated, with a brilliant community spirit reflected by the incredible independent scene in Norwich and across the region. So I’ll be sharing ALL that good stuff with you: indie bars, street food pop ups, stunning countryside walks, fabulous places to stay, restaurants, theatres, festivals, boutiques, outdoor sports, pubs made for winter afternoons and such totally irresistible seasonal food that long beach walks are non-negotiable. Luckily the coast stretches for over 90 miles…that’s a whole lot of ice cream.
The county motto is Do Different and Norfolk has a history of disreputable, opinionated women, so I reckon you’ll fit right in. Come on, I’ll show you around…
Ps. This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from Muddy Norfolk:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself, I let you know that’s the case.
- I don’t write advertorial. This means I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org and @muddynorfolk.
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. But if you’re not good enough, I won’t write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
I hope you love the site. Please tell your friends about it and sign up for my splendiferous free posts delivered to your inbox to be the first to know about all the cool stuff happening in your area!