The Miracle Chocolate Maca Smoothie
Great for balancing hormones and increasing energy levels, this delicious chocolate smoothie from The Mindful Cook is a menopause miracle. QUICK grab the blender!
Gone are the days when I could eat and drink what I like – big sigh! Not only do the pounds pile on post forty, I’ve noticed my diet has a massive influence on my mood and energy levels.
I’m in a growing percentage of women going through early menopause (I’m 44 this month) and I’m forever researching natural ways to combat the evil symptoms of this second adolescence. Bad skin, lack-lustre hair, mood swings and weight gain are just a few of the hormonal side effects grrrrrr!
Good friend and expert foodie – The Mindful Cook (Josie Buck) is my saviour and as part of her online ‘Healthy Mind, Healthy Body’ programme, she’s been examining nutrition and menopausal health. Lucky for us she’s created this delicious chocolate smoothie containing Maca – a menopause miracle in the form of a Peruvian cruciferous vegetable.
Over to Josie for the science …..
“Maca is an ‘adaptogen’ herb, so called because they are thought to support the body in adapting to internal and external stressors – for example, calming stress, providing energy and reducing inflammation.
It is also a rich source of nutrients, including 20 different amino acids and a variety of antioxidants. Some athletes use Maca root as a supplement to increase energy and performance. It is also believed to increase female fertility and help balance hormones such as oestrogen, hence many menopause ‘experts’ recommend it for peri menopausal women.”
Well I’m up for trying anything, especially if it contains chocolate and trust me this tastes just as good as it looks!
The Happy Hormone Smoothie
- 2 tsp Maca Powder – you can buy it online at Amazon (and at Lidl so I am told!)
- 2 tbsp raw Cacao powder – this is a nutritional POWERHOUSE high in antioxidant flavonoids, and minerals; copper, potassium, phosphorous, iron, zinc, and magnesium.
- Half a banana – packed with potassium and sweetens the drink perfectly
- 1 tsp of decent honey – BAL.HONEY wildflower mountain honey is antiviral and antiseptic
- 250ml oat milk – or you can use whatever milk you like
- 1 tsp of Peanut Butter – a good source of protein
- 250ml water
- 1 serving collagen powder – not essential but good for hair, nails and bones
- A handful of spinach – just because greens are good for you!
Chuck it all into your blender, whizz up and voila – thick choccie heaven with a powerful mood enhancing punch!
For more recipes and information on ‘The Healthy Mind, Healthy Body’ programme visit www.themindfulcook.co.uk